Phillips

Would our cat like a companion?

My husband and I adopted a two year old male cat about a year ago. We are both full time students who work and are away from home most of the day. We are debating about getting a playmate for our current cat. He is a fairly timid cat who really only knows us. When our family visits, he will hide while they are in our home but will come out after they leave. After a couple of days though he will eventually come out and hesitantly sniff at our family. Other than being timid around others, he is very playful and loves to be around us. When we come home, he usually howls as we come up to the door. We also have a small rabbit that our cat tolerates, though the rabbit is in his cage most of the time. Would it be a good idea for us to bring a new cat into our home or would our current cat be better off living in a one cat household?

Asked by Phillips on Jun 25th 2012 Tagged companion, secondcat, newcat, newpet, playmate in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Welcome to Catster! Phillips not only looks like Izzie, but has the same personality as well. Izzie didn't have much choice when I rescued him as I already had Ernie, but since then I've brought new cats into my home and Izzie really seems to get along with them. Cats are not naturally "herd" animals, but will coexist with each other, will play, eat and sleep together. However, when and if you do decide to add a feline member, go to a reputable shelter or foster rescue organization. Take a look around and if you don't like what you see, leave. Explain to the staff what your lifestyle is, Phillips' personality and what you are looking for in a companion for him. Trust the staff to show you cats that they feel would fit into your home. They can also explain the best way to intro the 2 cats to each other. Be patient and calm. Sometimes it can take a few weeks or longer for the cats to co-exist amicably. Except for vet bills and food/litter, 2 cats aren't that much more work. Good luck!

The other poster offers good advice, but I personally feel that another cat (female) would be the best friend for your cat. Maybe you could try fostering a female cat for a local animal shelter (Petco or Petsmart have cat adoption centers). Tell the staff what you are looking for and maybe they can recommend the right girl kitty for your male cat. Hopefully, it will be a good match and you can adopt the kitty as a permanent household member.