Would my cats attack a hedgehog?

I currently have one 7 year old Egyptian Mau and a 7 year old maine coon as well. If i were to purchase a hedgehog would my cats attack or mess with it?

Asked by Member 1142696 on Nov 28th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I don't know of any cat of any breed that is not predatory, meaning that it wouldn't stalk and attack. 99% of cat toys involve chasing and catching something. I understand that hedgehogs do roll themselves up, quills out, when threatened and you may be making more than one trip to the vet for quill removal from your cats' faces if you let it loose in your house. I know there are plenty of stories of cats getting along with other species, but I'm not so sure I would subject the poor hedgehog to the tag teaming attacks that could happen if it's allowed to roam free. Before I invested in a pet like this I would check with my vet and with the people where you plan to purchase it for their advice.