Guest

Would any killer spray cause my cat to suddenly die?

My cat (12 yrs) died suddenly this week. He was seemingly healthy. No symptoms of illness. He was fine and then made sounds as if he was having a hairball (heaving sound, he fell on his side and continued to struggle to breathe. It lasted about a minute or so and then he died.

Today my neighbor (house close by) said she sprayed ant killer around her house and I had my side door window open. I don't remember seeing her there when this happened but am looking for an answer to my kitties sudden death.


Asked by Member 1058369 on Sep 23rd 2011 in Loss of a Pet
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Joey

More often than not we never know what happens to our babies when they pass suddenly. I am less inclined to think he was poisoned because there would be other symptoms. What it actually sounds like is he had an obstruction - either the hairball itself or some other foreign matter that he was trying to clear from his airway.

I am terribly sorry for your loss - no matter what we here tell you it won't bring you peace - that comes with time.

Purrs & prayers.


Joey answered on 9/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

It sounds to me like your kitty may have had a heart problem. Many times they get really congested due to a build up of fluid in their lungs so the end is actually drowning from all this fluid and a failure to get good air exchange.
I also agree that the ant poison would most likely have caused other noticable symptoms prior to death.
I'm sorry for your loss, and even if you had rushed your kitty to the vet it sounds like it would have been to late to help him.


Member 641257 answered on 9/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer