Will my cat forget me after a weekend trip ?

Im leaving for 2 nights, im leaving my 2 cats at home to be feed by my neibor, im really worried about my cats forgtting who i am upon return. im 19 and feel kinda stupid being this worried, but hes like my bestfriend,

any thoughts?
do you think they will forget ?

Asked by Member 1098435 on Mar 8th 2012 Tagged cathomealoneforget in Travel & Recreation

Answers

Don't feel stupid, and don't worry - they won't forget you! I've read many stories of cats that are missing from their homes or families for much longer periods of time, even years, and pick up where they left off. If anything, your cats will miss you and be happy to see you when you get home!

In addition to your neighbor coming over to feed your cats, I suggest that you ask her to scoop their litterboxes at least twice per day and also to play with them for a few minutes each visit. I think it's important for cats to have attention and affection each day, especially when their beloved human is away.

Cali

You definitely don't need to worry about them feeling any differently about you if you go away for 2 days, so long as their basic needs are met while you're gone. They may be a little stressed and not want to play or cuddle with the strange neighbor coming over to care for them, but they'll be happy once you come back. Most cats can handle several weeks of time apart with just a short re-adjustment when their people come home. The only notable exceptions are new cats- you need time to bond to before you go off a long trip (more than 2 days) or young kittens under 3 months (under a year if they were raised feral early on) because they need consistent socialization and a few minutes of petting from a stranger they may not be willing to come out for might not cut it.

Enjoy your weekend, and your kitty welcoming committee when you get back!

Cali answered on 3/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have left my cat at home for longer than 2 days on a few occasions. My dad came by twice a day to care for her. She was a little mad at me when I first returned, but she got over pretty quick. I assure you that your cats won't forget you, especailly after only 2 days. Animals have been separated from their owners for years & they've always remembered them.