Will my 1.5 year Korat male be OK in the UK?

I currently live in Thailand and am repatriating back to the UK. Will the weather be a problem for my Korat cat? Should I let him outside (he has been a "condominium cat)? Thank you in advance for any insights you can bring!

Asked by Member 935126 on Jan 2nd 2010 in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

He should be fine in the UK but may take a while to get used to the colder temperature. Korat's are fairly rare but siamese are common in the UK and do fine with the climate. My mum's siamese Mai Ling goes outside but doesn't stay out long in the winter as her fur never gets thick enough to give much protection. She enjoys playing in the garden when its warmer though.

When you bring him to the UK he'll take some time to adjust so make sure he has warm bedding etc until his fur thickens up. If you live somewhere quiet and safe you could see if he likes the outside but he'd be fine as an indoor cat if that's what he's used to. There's traffic to worry about and at night foxes are dangerous for cats. Make sure you keep him inside at least for the 1st couple of months til he's settled then you could start letting him out for short periods for supervised jaunts before meals when he's hungry and will come back when called. Ssee how he does then decide.

I know that U.K. cat owners are more eager to let their cats be outdoor/indoor than American owners, but since he's already used to living inside, you could consider continuing that lifestyle. Depending on where you live, being an indoor/outdoor kitty can involve various dangers--traffic accidents, catnapping (as he is a rare breed), infection with things like FIV, cat fights, etc. If you have a fairly protected area where you can let him out to enjoy the fresh air, that's a different story.