Will a cat adapt to a small apartment

I am interested in adopting a cat from a rescue but foster parent has a nice size two story house and I live in a 450 sq ft studio. Will the cat go crazy,get sick or other problems if he went from living in a huge space to a small space. Or should I adopt from a animal shelter since they are used to small space already.Whats your thoughts?

Asked by Member 1140532 on Nov 13th 2012 Tagged apartment, small, space in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

In my experience, as long as a cat's basic needs , such as food, water, clean litter box, socialization, affection and health care are met, they can adapt to any size home. A carpeted "cat tree" in front of a window for him/her to lay on and watch "cat t.v." is enough for some cats. When I rescued Iz, he was used to having the run of our neighborhood. To socialize him and keep him safe, I kept him in a cage for 6 weeks. I didn't ignore him and spent more time with him than with my other pets. We lived in a 3200sq. ft. home. Then we moved to a small ranch. All my animals were fine. When you decide to adopt, explain your lifestyle, how much time you'll have to spend with the cat, and your home to the rescue or shelter. They know their cats and will be able to advise you on which cat would make the best pet for you. Feel free to call them with any questions or concerns you have about the cat you adopt. A good shelter/rescue is always available for follow-up. Good luck!

Princess Puss

I would say that cats are similar to dogs in this respect. You have high-energy cats that like to run around like a wild banshee, and then there is others that are more laid-back & easy-going.

When I first got my cat from the shelter (Cat Welfare, WONDERFUL place!) I lived in a ROOM in a roominghouse. She was always trying to escape out of my room, even though she had a window seat and all kinds of stuff in there.

Now we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and she seems very content. She has her moments where she will run around as if its the Indy 500, but most of the time she just curls up next to me, wherever I happen to be.

So my advice to you is, spend some time with the cat you are looking to adopt, and pay attention to the cat's behaviors. If the cat seems calm, then chances are smaller spaces will not bother the cat as much as it would a higher-energy, high-strung cat.

Also, if a cat has unspent energy, it is also more likely to tear up your house! Lol

Princess Puss answered on 12/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer