Angel

Why won't my cat sleep on her new bed

My cat seems so uncomfortable sleeping on the floor every day. We got her a cat bed and put it where she usually slept but she just ignored it. So I sprayed catnip on it and put her toys on it but she still ignored it. The bed is really comfy, too, I mean I could use it for a pillow if I wanted to. I carried her on top of it but she ran away to another room. What to I do?

Asked by Angel on May 11th 2009 Tagged cat, bed in Beds

Best Answer

Boris

Give her time, and maybe put it in some other location. Our cats have never taken to the beds we buy them easily, but they do take to them eventually. Don't force her on it, it will make her associate a bad experience with it, making it harder for her to accept it.

One time I bought a tent for Boris that he would never play with. I tried to lure it in there, but he stubbornly refused to play in it. I gave up on it, and shoved it in a corner by the bed, forgot all about it. One day, months after, I saw him hiding there waiting to pounce on Gracie. Just pretend you have forgotten all about the bed, and leave it alone on the spot. She'll eventually put her scent on it in passing, and it will become more appealing over time.

One more thing: my cats love their fleece beds in the winter, but in the summer they'd rather sleep on nice cool tiles. It might just be that she doesn't think she needs it at this time. So maybe you can save it, and bring it back out when the weather gets warmer.

Boris answered on May 11th.

Answers

I have a 175.00 Woolrich Dog Bed, a beautiful plaid with a "real" sherpa lining in my closet that my Golden refuses to even sniff. She prefers to sleep on the (not so cushy) rug by my side of the bed. SOMETIMES on a blanket but most often just on the rug. My cats, however, do like those thin little Sherpa beds with the rolled edges. I have them all over the house, and on Izzie's page is a photo of him pushing his sister Delilah out of one in the kitchen window. You can try putting the bed wherever you sit in the evening. If she's close to you, maybe she'll "accidentally" investigate it and lay down in it.

Cats rarely sleep where you expect them to. I have spent a ton of money on beds that nobody will use. There is nothing wrong with the beds. They just prefer the back of the sofa, my bed, inside a dresser drawer (not a fan of that one myself), on a rolled up yoga mat under my bed, the bathroom sink, behind the dvd player,etc. When Allie and Bailey were babies, I bought the cutest blue flowered covered dome bed. It had a dangly toy and Allie played in it but never slept in it. Then along came Bailey and decided that it was a potty so she peed in it. That one ended up in the trash.