Why won't my cat eat?

I have a seal point Himalayan cat. I am unsure of his actual age, but he is too young to be considered a kitten, and not yet a full grown adult. He is absolutely miserable! He refuses to eat more than a few bites, he spends days hiding in the attic, and is tortured by our two older cats. At first, I thought that the heat of summer and a broken air conditioner were the problem, but even after I spent hours cutting his fur, he still refuses to eat, but has stopped hiding in the attic. My mom thinks that we should give him to a family who can afford to take him to the vet reguarly, etc. but I want to try harder before I give up. Does it sound like he has worms or a disease? He is absolutely covered in fleas, is that the problem? I can't figure out anything to do, someone please help.

Asked by Member 989377 on May 29th 2010 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

First, give the poor cat a bath with Dawn dish liquid to get rid of the fleas. Then take him to a vet for medical treatment. He probably is anemic from all of the flea bites. If you don't get him treatment soon, he will die. If you really cannot afford medical treatment for your animals, please consider finding them a good home. Everyone has financial problems these days, but I sacrifice whatever I have to so that my cat still eats good food and has regular veterinarian check-ups. Every healthy cat should go to the vet at least once a year. If they are ill, they should go when they are ill. Older cats, seven and older, should see a vet at least two times a year for a wellness visit. Hope kitty feels better soon. Please, at least start with that flea bath and a trip to the vet for some topical flea medication. Best of luck.

As hard as it may be to accept, Guest is right. If you cannot afford to take your kitties to the vet regularly, then you should really rehome them. It sounds like your Himalayan is pretty miserable with all his health issues plus being tortured by the other cats. Imagine being covered by a hot, wet wool blanket and there not being any escape.This is how the Himalayan feels. It's not that you are deliberately abusing him, but without vet care and being tortured by other cats, this poor little guy has a hell of a lousy life. Please take him to the vet, get rid of the fleas on all your animals, and then consider rehoming them until your financial/residential situation is resolved. You mom is right.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

As others have said you really need to de-flea. It is not healthy for the cats, or the humans I may add, to be flea covered. It is tough to get rid of them. You need to get Mom involved, remove the cats from the home, get the fleas out of the home and flea dip the cats before then come back. You should also have no more animals than you can afford to care for. Pets are a responsibility. I give up certain things so my cats have the care they need, good food, and a little reserve just in case. Sometimes to show real caring we have some personal loss. I will not say good luck as this is a issue of making good adult choices!

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 5/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As all others have indicated, handling the flea issue is the first thing you need to do. There are many reasons why cats won't eat, but this can cause an emergency in a cat extremely fast!! Many kitties will stop eating if they have painful teeth -- this is just 1 of many possibilities. You mention spending hours cutting his fur -- this indicates that your furry one is in terrible pain, both physically & emotionally. PLEASE give him to a family that will treat his obvious illness and releive his pain. That is the best thing a cat lover like you can do for him. He will love you forever for putting his needs first.