Basil

Why so skinny?

For about a month now I have been watching a year old male (neutered) cat and will be for the next couple of months. However... something bothers me. When he first got to our home, he felt as if he was skin and bones. I You could see his spine and it just did not feel right. They had him on an auto feeder. (College students) Compared to my Basil who has gained such GURTH, the cat looks so malnourished.

I immediately took this cat off an auto feeder and set him to the same routine as my cat for 2 times a day (with left overs during the day). It seems to work out fine and he has gained weight and looks healthier. He wants to eat NON-STOP though. I recently came across a few younger photos of him and he appears A LOT larger.

Should I bring this up to his owners? I feel he was way to skinny for an indoor cat.

If it helps, I'm currently feeding them both Natural Choice after switching from Science Diet and give him wet food every so often as a treat.

Asked by Basil on Aug 3rd 2010 Tagged skinny in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

I'm having the same issues with Delilah, my DLH black kitty. Over the past year or so, she seems to have lost weight. She's also having dandruff issues which I know may be symptomatic of thyroid or even diabetes problems. She seems normal in every other way. I know that the only way I'm going to be able to find out what (and if) there's anything wrong with her is to take her to the vet's. You may be able to convince his owners that he needs a vet check, especially if he hasn't been in a while. Since you are obviously concerned, you may even want to offer to split the cost. The only way to determine if there's anything wrong is by a hands-on exam and perhaps even blood tests. Good luck!