Why is my kitten kneading and trying to nurse?

My kitten was a stray I got on August 20th. I think he's approx. 2 months old and his first vet appointment is on Tues. The first few days he had milk supplement and then I tried giving him solid food and he has been eating it ever since. He is very sweet and playful, he follows me around the house and seems like he will be a lap cat. He has kneaded on me a few times since I've goten him before catnapping. However, in the last couple of days he's been kneading and sucking on a fleece blanket pretty frequently. Is something wrong? I'm worried. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Asked by Member 1131913 on Sep 22nd 2012 Tagged kitten, knead, suck, nurse, blanket in Behavior & Training

Answers

You probably should name your baby "Linus" because he's using the blankie for comfort. Chances are he was separated from his mom too early or didn't get the attention from her he wanted, so he's making you and the blanket his surrogate mama. It's perfectly normal if not a little annoying. A friend had a cat who sucked on her ear lobe. The "e-e-e-w-w!" factor was pretty high on THAT one. There's nothing wrong with him and nothing to worry about. It's very normal. Lizzie doesn't suck on things but she does knead and she's 5. I don't mind unless she does it on my leg, claws out, at 2AM. Kisses to the baby! Join Catster and post photos. We LOVE baby pics!

Apollo

Kneading is completely normal for any cat, young or old. He will do it for years to come. It's a good thing, actually. It shows that he feels comfortable around you, that you're his new mommy. Make sure though, that you are feeding him enough. Kittens need at least 3 times as much food as adult cats. They develop quickly in their first months and need lots of nutrition.

Hope that helps! :)

Apollo answered on 11/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer