Why is my cat throwing up whitish liquid?

About a month or so ago, my cat threw up whitish liquid about every other day. He still ate and drank normally, and stopped throwing up after about a week.

This morning, he threw up whitish liquid again. He's been eating and drinking normally over the past few days, even drinking some water a little less than half an hour after he threw up. He also acts like his normal, happy little self.

I didn't take him to the vet the first time he began throwing up the liquid, since as I mentioned it wasn't long until he stopped throwing up.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Asked by Member 1139141 on Nov 5th 2012 Tagged illness, throwingup, whiteliquid, throwingupliquid in Illness & Disease

Answers

All my animals will occasionally throw up,too. With the cats it's usually hairballs and with the dogs, it's something they ate that didn't agree with them like grass. The whitish liquid is probably mucous from his stomach or esophagus. If it's tinged yellow, there might be a bit of bile or gastric fluid in it. If he carries on with his normal life after this, I wouldn't worry about it but mention it to the vet the next time you go in. If it becomes a regular thing and you notice he's vomiting regularly, often and a lot, if he won't eat, starts sleeping a lot and/or hiding,and you notice a marked change in his personality and behavior, then it's time to get him into the vet. Make sure you do not have any houseplants around that he's chewing on and eating, or any other non-food items he may be getting into. Just keep an eye on him. Purrs!

My cat is 20 y/o and has thrown up the whitish liquid off and on for years. He does it a few times then he stops and all goes back to normal. Don't know why, but it hasn't, obviously, caused any long term issues.
Additionally, he threw up hairballs and just threw up stuff for years. I had only fed him Purina One for seniors hard food. About 5 months ago he stopped eating it, but would FLY when I opened a can of tuna. I changed his diet. Regular canned tuna (about 1 large tablespoon, I sprinkled a few pellets of his Purina food on top (I feel there are still nutrients he needs in it) then a few kernels of white rice on top of that about 4x's/day. You could probably give him bigger portions, fewer times a day. Anyway, He doesn't throw up AT ALL anymore..not even hairballs. But, very occasionally, still throws up the whitish liquid. He eats & drinks quite well and can still jump up on the back of the recliner! Hope this helps.