why is my cat suddenly bringing mice in the house?

I have had my cat for a year and while there have always been signs of her hunting rodents, i.e finding dead mince and rats on the lawn and in the drive way, she never left them by the door like my previous cat did.

Two evenings ago my cat brought a live mouse in to the house and dropped it at my feet. lucky she caught it again when it tried to escape and took it back out side with a little prompting. However, Last night she caught another one and meowed at the door to be let in with it, in the end she killed it and left it on the door mat.

Why is she suddenly doing this now after a year?

Asked by Member 1021161 on Jan 29th 2011 Tagged mice in Behavior & Training

Answers

She is bringing you "presents"! She wants you to be proud of her! It is her way of saying "I love you! Hopefully, she will not be bringing any more live mice into your home.

Guest is absolutely correct. Cats are predatory creatures. They crave praise from the alpha, which is you. As long as you let your cat out, she will continue to hunt, catch small animals and bring them in if they don't escape first. The only way to completely prevent this is to keep her indoors which, once a cat is let outdoors, is very difficult. Just make sure she has all her vaccinations, including and especially rabies and be aware that if your neighbors use poison, if your cat ingests a rodent she catches that has eaten this poison, she, too, will suffer the effects.

She is trying to teach you to hunt. When a cat brings a dead animal to you, its an offering of food and she expects you to eat it (as gross as that is). But if its still alive, she wants you to kill it on your own. Mother cats bring half-dead things to their kittens so they can learn to kill their own food and take care of themselves.