Why is my cat suddenly aggressive and afraid of everyone?

I am extremely worried about my cat. During the past month she growls(like a dog) at sounds or peopl she doesn't know. She also growls when she hears one of my dogs bark, and rushes to the window.But today, we were moving my christmas tree outside, and she attacked my dog who was near it. It got worse, and now she is growling at almost every sound she hears. She also growls and lunges at anyone who comes near me. I am extremely afraid that if she goes after my dogs, they will attack, and possibly kill her. I have not brought her to a vet yet. Please help!

Asked by Member 1147234 on Dec 29th 2012 Tagged aggression, growling, hissing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cecilia

Get her checked out by your vet as soon as possible. Huge swings in mood are not normal and though they can be behavioral they can also be medical. Please clear her of medical causes before you try any other methods of fixing the situation. She could be in pain which could be the source of the "don't come near me" attitude. Good luck!

Cecilia answered on 12/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We can't help you if you won't help yourself or your cat. You need to take the cat to a vet ASAP. Anything could be going on. Whenever there is a change in behavior it needs to be checked by a vet. You don't state how old your cat is. She could be sick, scared, or even losing her vision. That could be why she is displaying a fearful and aggressive behavior. Keep her away from the dogs and get her checked out NOW! I hope she's okay.