why is my cat so hyper and how can i stop it?

ok, my cats name is korn, he is about a year old, he is fat, and is crazy-hyper!!! usually at night, he gets on shelfs and knocks stuff off, he runs up and down the hallway (we have crappy carpet, so he tears that up wile he is running) he claws up my mom wile she is sleeping, thank god i have a door on my room, he gets on the counter and plays with stuff and knock stuff off, he has PLENTY of toys by the way, we have to keep his bowl of water in the shower cause he plays in it and gets stuff wet, we have to get him to calm down or my mom is gonna get rid of him!!!

Asked by Member 892885 on Sep 24th 2009 Tagged helpcathypercrazyinsanewild in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Howie (1999-2014)

Cats are most active at night. Your cat is still young, he may grow out of it, so be patient. But even my 13 year old cat, Louie, still gets the "kitty crazies". My other cat, Howie, is very nocturnal, and likes to pace all night.

Play with him a bunch before bedtime. Even if he has lots of toys, he may not be interested if they just lie there. Can you get some interactive toys?

Even if after playing each night, and letting him get a little older, he still is super hyper, talk to your vet. Growing up we had a very destructive and moody cat that was put on kitty prozac and finally settled down. But don't medicate kitty for doing what's natural--being up at night and playing.

Howie (1999-2014) answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ TT ♥

Howie's advice is right- playing can drain some of his energy. Two interactive toys we really like are Da Bird and our laser pointer. He is entertaining himself by knocking things over and playing in his water. Remember- if he is an only cat, he is probably bored and a bit lonely, so the more you play with him the better.

♥ TT ♥ answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

your cat is still a "baby" and will do lots of annoying things before he grows up. Did your mom want you to have a cat? Does she understand that baby cats are VERY active (usually at night?) If she has a lot of stuff on her shelves that she really loves, she might want to put the stuff away until he settles down so he doesn't break it. It's hard to believe that if he is that hyper, he is also "fat" as they usually burn off the calories. If you haven't taken him to the vet yet, you need to do so. If he is not neutered, this could be adding to his energy. Cats do calm down when they are fixed, so do it if you haven't done so already. Your mom probably wouldn't agree to getting another cat, but my cats entertain each other and none is a problem at night.