Carrots

why is my cat licking the bottom of my shoes?

My cat carrots is doing this. Calico sometimes does. My cat Spot rubs herself all over the shoes. Does this mean my feet smell good to cats?

Asked by Carrots on Jun 9th 2010 Tagged lick, shoes in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Sadie/ In loving memory

Cats can smell things we dont smell. One of my cats rubs herself all over my shoes too. I was thinking maybe she wanted to have her scent all over my shoes. Cats rub themselves on things to mark their territory. This way I take her scent with me wherever I go. It's a compliment in a cat way.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 6/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Both of my cats seem to think that my flipflops are the best things in the world. They knead them, lay on them, and even fight over them. The younger one started it when she was only about 4 weeks old and then her mother (my other cat) seemed to take to it as well. Don't know why but they love it.

In Japan, we take off our shoes when we enter a house, and leave them in the entrance way. I've had kittens who were not quite toilet-trained mistake my shoes for a litter box (eew!), but since I don't wear my shoes in the house, they don't get a chance to lick the soles. Your cats could be rubbing themselves on the shoes to mark them with their scent in order to claim you as their own, or they could be smelling something from outdoors that fascinates them. Licking the soles worries me, however. Think of all the yucky things that you may have stepped on outside. You may have to think of some way to keep them from licking the soles--not punishment, but keeping your feet on the ground so that they can't access the soles, or putting away shoes you aren't wearing in a place cats can't access. And no, I don't think cats necessarily like the smell of human feet. I must admit, this is the first time I've ever seen this particular question on the Answers Board!