Tiikeri

Why is my cat is pooping next to the litter box??

My cat is two years old, and she has recently begun pooping next the litter box sometimes, and going inside the litter box other times. Is there a reason as to why she is doing this? The poop looks normal, and most of the time she goes inside the litter box and only sometimes goes outside it. And it is only poop. She is eating and drinking normally. Please help! I have no clue as to why she has started doing this. Thanks in advance for replies!

Asked by Tiikeri on Jul 29th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Chances are, if she is pooping next to the box and not at other places in your home, she is just "missing" the box. She may not realize that her business end is hanging outside the box. I have 3 cats and 2 very large boxes, one of which is one of those Rubbermaid "underbed" containers. It's long but not so big that they can't get out when they get in. I put about 1 inch of litter in the boxes, scoop at least once a day and change out the litter and scrub the boxes once a week. Try getting her a bigger (longer) box and see if this helps.

Boo

Izzie has some great advice! Good for you to keep an eye on her eating and drinking habits too! It's a pretty easy way to be able to tell how they are feeling.
I agree with Izzie completely but I would also add in another box for her. 2 boxes for 1 kitty, 3 boxes for 2, 4 for 3 and so on. The more the merrier :)
Good luck!

Boo answered on 7/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer