Why is my cat hissing at me for no reason?

My cat has been hissing at me only this past month or so and ive had him 2 yrs. It has happened 3 times.2 of those times, 1bein this am, he was just laying down next 2 me in my bed n outta no where he hissed by my face! Its really starting to scare me and making me nervous...i swear he even barked this morning n he isn't backin away...he comes toward me......what do i do?

Asked by Member 968174 on Feb 25th 2010 in Aggression

Answers

We really have no way of knowing what's going on with your cat b/c we don't know him or you or what your life is like from day to day. On this page, whenever there is a complete change in behavior like you've described, we tell you that you need to take your cat to the vet to make sure he's OK. If you're a kid, you need to describe to your parents how your cat is acting and tell them he needs to see a vet. If he doesn't already have a vet, now would be a good time to find one. It would be a shame if he started biting or clawing people.

Rex

Izzie gives good advice. Please take kitty to the vet he could be sick. Also, there is a lot of advice on kitty behavior. You can ask a vet or get books or look on line for cat behavior problems. I would rule out any sickness with a vet, then check on how to deal with behavior issues.

Rex answered on 2/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It took my husband and I months to figure this out. Have you changed your hair color or are you wearing a hat or cap the cat is unfamiliar with? My husband has a magnified visor with a light, When he wears it, our 11 year sweetie, Merlin, turns into a hissing growling scary animal. When he took it off, he was once again the cat we know and love. A month ago I put on a headband with flashing red devil horns and got the same reaction. Took it off, back to a loving kitty. Hope this helps.

U-Cat  (Loving Memory) 1988-07

The answer given by Rex was the most plausible IMO. But if you have not changed your looks recently in a dramatic way then I would want to know if you are using Advantage-Multi for flea and tick control This medication causes neurological damage to cats. It is very strong poison that I used on the advise a a trusted Vet on all three of my cats. They all have had side effects and experienced permanent behavior altering nerve damage. It is less harmful to younger cats, but harmful nonetheless. I switched to Neem Oil Shampoo,a natural flea and tick remedy, but the damage has already been done.
I hope you have avoided this medication and I hope you and your kitty feel better.

U-Cat (Loving Memory) 1988-07 answered on 1/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer