why is my cat behaving like this?

i allowed my boyfriend to come inside for the first time. once ge was inside he picked me up in a bear hug and i squelled. my cat was freaked out about a stranger which is normal. but then all of a sudden he let out a loud meow in the kitchen then disapeared into my dads room. he has hidden his self in there ever since he wont come out even though my boyfriend is long gone. he barely lets us touch him. im worried what could be wrong???

Asked by Member 1157954 on Mar 4th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

It sounds like your cat was very freaked out by your behavior. You didn't do it on purpose because you didn't know your cat would have this kind of reaction, but it happened. Cats are very sensitive to loud or strange noises. When we have thunder or wind storms or even when my grandsons come over, all my cats hide. What happened happened, and now the best thing for you to do is be extra gentle and kind with your cat. Go into your Dad's room and sit with your cat's favorite toy by where he is hidden. Don't force him to come out, grab him or be very loud. Encourage him to come out and play with the toy. If he does, still be very quiet. No sudden moves. When he doe comes out into the house, the same thing should happen. Stay calm and as quiet as possible. Ignore him for the most part unless he comes up to you and even then, don't try to pick him up. He needs to make up his own mind that your house is OK again. If your BF comes over again, do your bear-hugging and squealing outside.