Why is my cat all of a sudden aggressive?

Sunday I slipped coming down the stairs and the cat was next to me, I must've scared him because he went flying down the stairs with his tail puffed up. I think the dog thought the cat had hurt me (We have a Jack Russell Terrier as well) and barked and growled at Rascal (the cat). Ever since then, at 10pm every night, Rascal becomes extremely aggressive and starts to attack the dog. He has done this twice now, and I can't figure out why he's been acting this way. Any ideas??

Asked by Member 1046238 on Aug 16th 2011 Tagged agression, attacks, dog in Aggression

Answers

We hope you're OK! If you yelled when you slipped or made a noise that could have been mistaken by the animals for you being injured, this could have weirded them both out. You don't say what time this happened on Sunday, but if you begin preparing to go to bed at this time, and this was what you were doing when you slipped, the animals could be expecting it to happen again when you start your "bedtime prep". I know that our nightly routine is always the same and the same time. The best thing to do would be to change up your routine at this time of night. When you notice that Rascal is gearing up to attack the dog, distract him, even so far as to give him a little wet food, grooming or other distractions. When you present him with something more pleasant than engaging in "fisticuffs" with the dog, he'll forget what happened Sunday. The dog, also should be distracted as you say he was the instigator in the attack and not allowed to go after Rascal.