why has my cat started peeing on my bed?

my male desexed cat has now peed all over our bed 3 times. we dont understand why as it has never been an issue until the last couple of weeks. were not sure of his exact age but hes only a yr old at most. he usually pees if someone is in the bed and this morning he continued meowing before he peed. any help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting really hard to deal with and we just want to understand and help the problem. should we take him to the vet?

Asked by Member 1021514 on Feb 1st 2011 Tagged urine, behaviour, anxiety in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Orange Ruffy

You need to take him to the vet, and have them check him out. I am wondering if he might be cryptoid. It means that when they neutered him they missed one testicle, it never 'came down'. Sometimes this happens, and the male cat must have a surgery similar to a spay.
It could also be that he has sometihng else going on, that physically is affecting him, and he sould be checked out.

Orange Ruffy answered on 2/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nathanial Patrick

Your kitty needs to go to the vet NOW. Any time I've had a cat suddenly do this is because they have a urinary tract infection & they are in major pain. When animals have a UTI, they have to pee the second they get the urge to. They don't have time to go to the litterbox. Also, I've had furkids pee on really important things, and sometimes do it in front of me. Each time they've done this, I have found that they have a VERY serious infection, and I feel that they are desperately trying to get my attention , so I can help them.

Nathanial Patrick answered on 2/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree that this cat really needs to go to the vet. Usually when a cat pees like this, it's because of a urinary tract infection. Those are very painful & really need to be treated ASAP.

♥Sam

I agree too. Peeing on the bed is a way of the cat saying there is something wrong. UTI's are often the problem and like the others said can be very serious. If not treated can cause death. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

♥Sam answered on 2/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dahlia

I hope you were able to get him to the vet. I just wanted to add for others to know - when this occurs in a male cat it is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Male cats have a long, narrow urethra. Certain types of urinary infections cause the formation of crystals within the urine. Because of the thinness of their urethras, a relatively small crystal can get stuck & block the pathway for the urine to leave the body in normal quantities. If a male cat becomes blocked, he can die within 24 HOURS. Urine is the accumulation of toxins that need to be released from the body & the buildup of these toxins in a blocked cat has devastating effects on major organ systems of the body. Again, it is a medical emergency & a cat in this condition should be rushed to a vet immediately (& to an emergency vet if it's after hours). Typical signs of blockage are urinating only small amounts, urinating in unusual places, straining while urinating, crying while urinating, and/or blood in the urine.

Dahlia answered on 2/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer