Why doesn't my cat like to use the litter tray anymore?

I've got two house cats and noticed they had been going in the cellar for a pee. We've started to make sure the door is always closed so they can't do it anymore but it was rarely open anyway. My youngest cat is 2 & a half and seems to have decided he won't use the litter tray until he's absolutely desperate! He just stands at the cellar door crying, it's a really loud cry and sounds like he's in pain. Eventually he will use the tray but obviously this is not ideal. I always make sure their litter tray is clean and this has only recently started to happen, does anyone have any suggestions what could be wrong?? Thanks.

Asked by Member 1147638 on Jan 1st 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

He may be suffering from urinary tract problems. Whenever there is a change in behavior, it's essential to have a vet check the cat out to see if there's a medical issue causing the change. If they get a clean bill of health, then they are reacting to something that is stressing them out. the vet or a cat behaviorist can help you figure that out.