Why doesn't my cat grow?

I found two stray kittens,both female, about four weeks old. They were together so I assume they are from the same litter. One is now full grown at about 15 pounds. The other looks like she is about 8-10 weeks old and weighs about 2-3pounds! Can u tell me why this might be?

Asked by Member 938663 on Jan 15th 2010 in Kittens

Answers

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

How old are the cats now? Also some cats are small. I stopped growing and stayed small too. I was 5 or so lbs. I looked like a kitten even when I was really and old lady over 13 yrs old.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Because she is so small she may have some kind of medical issue so its worth checking with your vet. It may be something like humans who are midgets and if she seems healthy there may be no long term issue and she could just be small. If it is a hormonal thing its possible the vet may be able to give her something to help her grow.

I've only ever seen one similar cat who was a 10 month old cat who looked like he was about 3 months old but he had been very ill since he was a kitten which had stunted his growth. I saw him at our vets when I was taking my cat in and at that time they weren't sure if he'd grow to full size and were just happy that he seemed to be doing better after all the health issues.

Your cat is probably a rare case and I bet your vet would be really interested to check her out. Hopefully they'll confirm she's healthy and nothing to worry about.