why does the room stink!?

I have had cats a good portion of my life. This is NOT cat poop smell. Not even realy a urine smell. I have three foster kitties. One up in our room. Two in the living room. Well the living room...smells. I don't know why. The litter is scooped three times a day, changed weekly and the box washed. They use the box plenty. Both cats drink a lot. Any ideas on what could be up?

Asked by Member 1072040 on Nov 20th 2011 in Other Grooming

Answers

Yes. It's probably one of the cat's tails as it sprays urine someplace in the living room. If these cats were formerly outdoor cats or if they do not know each other, they are staking out their territories. My Izzie has started marking my throw rugs by the patio and man door to the garage and on Saturday night, I noticed a stray cat hanging around our back yard. Check the carpeting along the base of the walls and also check all the livingroom walls for oily looking residue and spotting. The walls and carpeting will need to be washed/scrubbed well with an oxy or enzyme cleaner. Cats will use the litter box to potty, but unless they have a urinary tract infection, they will spray outside the box to say "this territory is mine", "I am stressed out", etc.

Hannah

Is little 2 month old Enstine in the living room? Sometimes little kittens have a weird odor to them that isn't like typical adult poop scent but still sort of stinky. It's probably just gas as they adjust to eating solid food (make sure he's getting a quality kitten food) and usually gets better on it's own in a few weeks, but in more extreme cases it could be a warning that he has worms or other parasites disrupting his digestive process. If he hasn't been to a vet yet for a full deworming and kitten check-up he should go now and schedule his neuter surgery while you're there. If he has already been seen and de-wormed keep a close eye for loose stools or vomiting, and have it repeated when he's 3-months to make sure you got everything. Little kittens have weak immune systems and often need more than one round of treatment to completely clear out a bad infection.

Hannah answered on 11/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer