Why does my kitten meow so much?!

I have 2 male kittens - Monte (9 months old) and Apollo (8.5 months old). For the past couple of months Monte has been wandering our house meowing for no apparent reason. We have tried playing with him, ignoring him, petting him, but most of the time he just runs to the other side of the house when we stand up and he continues to meow. It's staring to get very frustrating. Lately now he has been meowing at night... at 5 AM every morning, and I mean EVERY morning! He is very loud and wakes us up. Is there anything that we can do to fix this? Apollo is generally quiet and only meows (quietly) at me (not my boyfriend) when I get up in the morning and get home after work or when we play with him. Monte is just noisy all evening and in the early morning hours.. Please help!

Asked by Member 1074318 on Nov 30th 2011 in Noisiness

Best Answer

Some cats are just naturally louder and more vocal than others. If you've eliminated the cause as boredom or hunger or a need for attention, he may just be a talkative kitty. If this is the case, it's not something that you can or should "fix". Just love him for his own unique character!

That said, he is still a kitten, and his personality is not yet fully developed. As he gets older, he may mellow a bit and have less to say. Or he may not. It will be fun for you to get to know him better as he grows, and get used to his quirks.

answered on Nov 30th.

Answers

Izzie and Lizzie are also very vocal kitties. Both "announce" themselves when they come into a room. My hubby says it's like the blaring of the trumpets when the king or queen entered the dining hall in Medieval times! Izzie also "talks" to my dogs. Lizzie talks to me and will me-ow when I talk to her! As R & R say, these are just interesting behavioral traits. But, if you live in an apartment, he may hear activity each day at this time through the walls. He may even see someone or something outside. One caveat though, if you have not yet taken your boys to the vet's, it's time to go. Even if you got them at a shelter and they were vetted, it's time to go again. They need to establish themselves with their own vet. It will give you peace of mind to know that they are healthy. If they aren't neutered, do so now.