Why does my kitten have weak legs?

I recently(about 3.5 months ago) adopted a female calico kitten. I believe she about five months old now. She went to the vet a couple of weeks ago to get her shots. Before she went, we had noticed a slight limp in her front leg that showed up every now and then.
Unfortunately, we forgot to mention it to the vet. It has gotten worse since then. Her paws seem totally fine, I examined them and found nothing out of order. I found nothing on her legs, no swelling or cuts, and she did not act like she was in pain. She several times nipped at my hand when I was checking her, very quickly, like it was a reflex.
The limp seems to have changed into stiff legs. It is not constant though, and sometimes she walks normally, then she starts hopping off her back legs. I noticed yesterday that sometimes when she is trying to stand, her legs tremble until she sits down, too tired to stand.
She is still very active, affectionate and hungry, I have noticed no character changes. Why does she limp?

Asked by Member 1150587 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged kitten, female, limp, stiff, leg, hind, weak in Health & Wellness

Answers

As much as we would like to say 'this is what's going on', even if we were veterinary professionals here, there's no way we could, nor should we try to guess why your kitten has a weakness in her legs. It could be her spine, a neurological issue, a problem at birth or, if you saw her littermates, even congenital if they all have it. Kittens can "crash" quickly and even though she seems fine now, unfortunately, in a few months, she may not be. The biting may be because most cats don't like to have they nether parts or stomachs touched. Delilah is like that. If the vet determines that she was adopted out with these issues, if you adopted from a shelter or rescue, you can visit them (better than a phone call which can be easily dismissed) and tell them what's happened. They may offer to help with any medical expenses. But, truthfully, your only option for a diagnoses and treatment is to take her to the vet. Write questions down on paper to remind you of your concerns. Good Luck!