why does my female cat suddenly hate my male cat?

I have 3 cats 2 males and 1 female. our youngest male we have had for 9 months. all 3 cats got along fine. they would sleep together, eat together and there was never any problems. all of the sudden my female cat hates my youngest male. she is spayed but he has not been neutered yet. my oldest male is neutered and she is fine with him. everytime she sees the youngest male she hisses, growls and has even lost her bowels 3 times. she is fine when he is not in her view but instantly freaks out when she sees him. he is very sweet, never shows aggression. just sits there and purrs even when she is violently hissing at him. what happend and what do I do? please help, I love all 3 of my cats and would be heartbroken to have to give one of them up.

Asked by Member 1108321 on Apr 29th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior we always recommend at least a call to your vet. It's possible the unneutered male is giving off some sort of pheromones that are upsetting the female. Suggestion would be to have him neutered immediately to see if that helps. It's unusual for a cat who's lived with another cat for so long to suddenly decide she "hates" him to the point that she would actually lose control of her bowels. If any of the cats go outside, they may be bringing in smells with them. Or, there may be a stray cat outside that she sees and is taking her misdirected aggression out on this cat. Whatever it is, she has a reason that only she knows of. You need to investigate it, with the help of your vet, to find an answer. Many vets now have animal behaviorists on board who can help.