why does my female adult cat likes to suck on my neck

her name is sabrina, i got her from my dads cat. she was the runt of the bunch but not to long after ive had her she likes to lay almost up and under my chin. then one day out of the blue she started licking and trying to suckle on my neck like she would on a moma cat paws stretching and all. she is grown now and still does this. she dont do it when im awake she waits till i am asleep then gets up on me very quietly and lays down close to my neck and begins. she has actually made my neck sore and redness and times a rash would appear. plz help!!!!!!!!
she doesnt just do this at nighttime while i am in bed asleep. she also does it when i doze off in my chair. it will wake me up and she will be at it again!
but when she has her kittens she stops sucking on my neck. ive never seen her suck on anything but my neck
so i dont think giving her a replacement will work but who knows it might

Asked by Member 797358 on Jan 27th 2009 Tagged suckingonneck in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Cat saliva can cause major skin irritations. Use Cortaid or something like that for the itching. Your baby was immature from the beginning if she was the runt. She probably had to really fight for her place in the litter. She may have been separated from her mom too soon after weaning. Now, you are her mom. If her siblings were all bigger than she was, she probably got stepped on and left behind a lot. Now she has you, her new mom, all to herself. She's suckling on you because that's how she sees you, as her mom, and it gives her comfort, like a child sucking it's thumb. Remove her gently and give her a stuffed animal or a towel or blanket to use instead of you. Make sure you give her LOTS of cuddles and love to build up her self-confidence. Play with her a lot and help her be social. She picks that time of night because you are quiet and staying in one place and she wants to be the same.

Izzie's right. It sounds like she was taken from Mom too soon and still wants to suckle. If you give her a replacement right at that moment, she'll eventually "get it".

Good luck to you and your sweet girl.