Honey

why does my cat want to sleep on top of me??

Asked by Honey on Aug 31st 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Because you are warm and she may like to feel your heartbeat to make her feel secure. This is pretty common in cats to want to shuggle up with you and is a sign that they like you.

Oliver

Becuz we likes to suck dah heat owtah yer bodies!

Oliver answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kitcat

So we can keep track of you while we get some much needed rest. You can't move without us knowing it if we sleep on top of you.

Kitcat answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cesar

because we like you, i like to sleep with my daddy, its even more fun if you kneed them first, then go to sleep on them, mol, mol, mol

Cesar answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

William Robert Hill(angel now)

It is also a domination thing. As much as we love you humans, you have to be reminded that WE ARE IN CHARGE HERE. That is why we like to climb high up on tall things and look down on you.
Plus....my human is all nice and pudgy....she is like a heated tempurpedic matress for cats who also pets me till I fall asleep. It doesn't get better than that!

William Robert Hill(angel now) answered on 9/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bear  DB #165a

Because we want to be in position at the food dish when you FINALLY wake up.

Bear DB #165a answered on 9/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sometimes we, cats will cover a part of our human's body which is in need of medical care, even if not detected by them yet. We can heal by our heat and we feel even slight abnormality in vibrations.
I healed my mom's pains in the neck - it took me about three month to lie next to her neck and shoulders, and after I moved to sleep with daddy next to his chest and on it (he has heart problems).
But even if our humans are healthy we often lye on their chest or stomach or a leg when they are stressed out by their human life. My mommy often stressed, so my sis Midnight takes care of her this way, whilst I am with daddy.

SkittyKitty

I always sleep on top of my Mum, she's so warm and reminds me of being a kitten sleeping on my "bio" mum. Most everything us cats do to get close to you is simply that - to get close to you.
When I sleep on Mum it means I know what she's doing and she knows where I am, personally I don't like being under the blankets as it's too restricting but other cats aren't as safety-concious as I am... You should praise your kitty for sleeping on you, even if it's uncomfortable for you because that means your kitty will love you even more.

SkittyKitty answered on 12/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zuri

Because we are warm and some cats consider us to be warm blooded furniture. I also feel that is one way for us to feel the love we have for each other.

Zuri answered on 12/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxanne (kitty heaven)

Because if we slept next to you, we're afraid you'll roll on top of us and we won't wake up until it's too late. Sleeping on top ensures that won't happen (as long as we roll along with you)

Roxanne (kitty heaven) answered on 5/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cora

I like to sleep on my mom and dad. I'll never tell why...but my mom and dad think it's because I like the way that they smell. I really like to wrap myself around their heads while they sleep and bury my nose into their hair, scalps. I'm also a fan of their feet. You know, between you and me, I really DO like the way that they smell. They're nice to me and smelling them reminds me of this. It's comforting. But, don't tell anyone! *shhhhh*

Cora answered on 7/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sticky Riceball

It's simple, cats don't do what they are told, they do what they want ^^. Maybe tell him to sleep on top of you?

Sticky Riceball answered on 2/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer