Why does my cat walk around and cry at night?

I adopted my 4-yr-old Himalayan cat 3 mos ago, and he just recently started howling loudly during the night. When we respond to him he calms down. He's healthy (according to the vet), well-fed with quality food, and has a clean litter box. His previous owner gave him up because he was pooping on the sofa. We have never had a problem with that.

Asked by Member 1110409 on May 11th 2012 in Noisiness

Answers

Ghost

I get very bored all alone at night. Is kitty kept outside your room? He may want to get in, but I bet he's just bored and looking for attention. I do this when I think my human has slept in long enough by noon I need some play time! Try leaving out some toys, I don't have good advice to remedy this, sorry =^.^=

Ghost answered on 5/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Thumper

I agree with Ghost. If your cat is outside your room then it may want to get in. Since it started recently, your kitten has just started to love you and wants to be with you. The reaction your cat gives off (being quiet) when you respond is evidence of that! So, if you do sleep with your door closed, try it open and see how things work. Contact me by pawmail if you have tried this and you need more help. Therefore, this is not a health concern. Your kitty just loves you! :)

Thumper answered on 5/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sarah

I adopted a 5 year old tabby that did the same thing! I left my bedroom door open for him but still he screamed all night! anyways I contacted the shelter I got him from and they suggested I try night lights so I did, I put night lights in every room and to my surprise he stopped screaming, he was afraid of the dark!

Sarah answered on 5/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer