Nacho

Why does my cat play with his poop?

Recently, my cat has been going into his litter box and carrying out a piece of poop to play with. Why does he do this and how can I get him to stop?

Asked by Nacho on Feb 20th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Sorry but that is hilarious. Cats do all kinds of things to get their message across but Your cat takes the cake. Your cat has finally found a way to get your attention. No doubt she's been looking for your buttons for a long time. Try buying cat toys. They love the cat dancer which is basically wire with paper tubes and the small rabbitfur mice with leather tails And rattles inside. Both are really cheap. Laser pointers are great if you want to wear them out quick with minuscule effort on your part. But bottom line is Kitty wants attention. Is that so wrong? Or maybe your clever feline is saying if you can't clean my box I will. Either way with your Kitty if you don't start paying attention to him soon he may start using your credit card on the internet to get your attention. Good luck with your precocious Kitty. Lol

Cali

I think it sounds like Nacho has a serious case of being a kitten! On the whole cats are generally finicky about their fecal matter and will be pretty fastidious about keeping it covered, but if it's on the firm side and they discover it rolls around on the floor nicely... The main thing you can do is keep the litter clean- chances are he prefers his play-poops dry and if you give the litter a quick scoop every day he'll have slim pickings.

Providing more enticing toy options is a great idea, too. Since he likes batting small objects around try getting him some catnip mice and an assortment of balls. Some cats like balls with rattles and some prefer without, many like soft balls like those shiny metallic craft pom-poms (at least 3/4" in diameter so it's not a choking hazard) that they an easily carry around in their mouth, some like crinkly balls like something as simple as a wadded up piece of paper.

Prevention, distraction, and a little understanding that boys will be boys!

Cali answered on 2/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

That's too funny! I'm sure you don't think it is! Everyone has funny stories about their pets. Mine likes to eat and when she wants food she goes and knocks on the windows or my front door. She thinks she is calling the strays and ferals in the neighborhood which I feed. She knows if they are out there and I feed them, that she will also get fed! Cats are very smart. Yes, I have to agree with the other poster - your cat may be trying to tell you to clean his box. P.S. You better lock up the credit cards and the car keys! LOL