why does my cat paw at his water dish?

Asked by Member 1104612 on Apr 7th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Cali

Lots of cats have weird drinking habits, it's hard to say why. Some might just like the feel of water or the sound of splashing it, others might be flashing back to being kittens nursing and feel like their paws should be involved in the drinking process. As long as he drinks plenty and doesn't go straight into the litter box with a soaking wet paw it's not a problem. In fact, cats with weird drinking habits often seem to enjoy drinking more and are probably less likely to get certain kidney and bladder problems from not getting enough water.

Cali answered on 4/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree - the main thing is that the kitty is drinking. My kitty physically moves his water bowel around to the point of spilling the water & ends up moving his food bowel around as well.

my cat does that two i think its to make sure he has water hes had that habbit

My cat does that all the time. He is a water loving cat though. He came from a farm and after being here a couple of days I gave him a bath. He now LOVES water! He paws at his water all the time, playing with it. I have to wipe up spilled water daily. I put a little bit in the bathroom sink to let him play, and he's in heaven! It may just be that your cat is curious about the water. Just let him play and enjoy the fun is what I would suggest.