Sam

Why does my cat launch himself at my legs/arms and bite!?

Sam is an 8 month old male cat. Usually, he's decently affectionate. He will sit on the couch, and sleep in the bed with us. He likes to do his own thing a lot too though, but normally he's good. Every once in a while, becoming more often now, he will follow me and lauch him self on my leg and bite down hard! Or when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV he'll jump and attach himself to my arm... and bite! It really is starting to hurt now. He doesn't do it to anyone he doesn't know, and he doesn't do it all the time to me, but still... I really want this to stop. He's a great cat other than that. Is he bored? Or want more attention? I thought about getting another cat for him to be with when me and my fiance are at work, but I'm afraid of how'd he react. Help me to avert this horrible habit he's gotten into!! Thank you!!!!! :)

Asked by Sam on Dec 13th 2008 Tagged biting in Aggression

Answers

Maxine

Certain illnesses and parasites can cause this behavior also. If he is normal in every other way, feeding, potty, etc, ask your vet on his next check up or make an appt.

He may also be going through kitty puberty and males do all kinds of weird things when they go through this (just like teenagers-gotta love them!). If he isn't already neutered, neutering might help but it isn't a guarantee.

Whatever the reason, it is best to break him of it now. When he does this, don't squeal or holler, that is difficult, I know. Just give him a firm "No" and then remove him from your lap or leg or hand and then walk away. Make sure not to give him attention or make a really big fuss about it. Just simply ignore him for a few minutes after he has done this. Eventually he will get the hint that this behavior is not rewarding and will quit. Just make sure he has plenty of appropriate play and cuddle time, & toys while you're gone. This will cut down on the boredom and attention seeking.

Maxine answered on 12/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maxiine is right. I'd just like to add that you probably wouldn't have to worry if you got another kitty that Sam would pull the same stuff on it. When littermates do this to each other or to their mom, they get shut down very quickly. Justice is swift! Mom and the sibs will let the offender know that they're over the line by biting or clawing right back. I've seen momma cat put her teeth lightly but firmly on baby's neck for a few seconds then walk away. Baby gets up, shakes itself and behaves! At 8 mos, Sam is still a child and just like Max said, needs guidance and discipline. Just a caveat, if you get another kitty, keep in mind that everything, food bills, vet bills, etc. will double.

₮ơßע

He might just want to plaw or something.

₮ơßע answered on 12/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer