Gandalf

Why does my cat keep pooping outside the box?

I have two cats that use the same litter box. One cat I've had since 5th grade and is almost 18 years old. This cat has no problem pooping/peeing in the box. My 2nd cat is a little over 3 1/2. I got this cat when he was less than 2 months old, so I've had him for pretty much all of his lifetime. He immediately had no issues using the box at a kitten. However about a year ago he started pooping outside the box. He ALWAYS goes pee in the box still and will cover the pee with no issues. Well he kinda stopped with the pooping outside the box only because I moved. Well about 5 months into living in the new place he is pooping outside the box again on the wood floor. He goes pee in the box just fine. He digs at the floor like he is digging in litter and then just poops. The box can be fresh and he'll still do it. I really have no idea what is going on or how to fix the issue. Any tips would be appreciated.

Asked by Gandalf on Nov 6th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Apollo

It could be a couple things.

It might be behavioral.
I have two cats and my vet told me that if you have two cats, you need at least 3 liter boxes. You might also think about changing liters. Cats are weird in that they don't like being seen when they go and want to have their own poopy place. :) Sometimes, cats don't like certain liter. The pretty smelling brands that humans like might not be attractive to cats. Their respiratory system is a little more sensitive than ours. I use Purina Nature, it smells like cedar and my cats use it very well.

It might also be health related.
One of my cats started peeing outside his liter box and it turned out that he had a bladder infection.

I would try either changing liters and/or add a liter box. Hope that helps! :)

Apollo answered on 11/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You may need to add 1 or 2 more litter boxes. Keep them VERY clean. Some cats like doing their business in separate boxes (pee in one and poo in the other) which is not uncommon. Also, DON'T use any scented cat litter. Scoop Away and Arm & Hammer (to name a few) sell unscented or fragrance free cat litter. Also, keep something on the floor (newspaper or puppy pads) to protect your wood floors. Hope this helps. If not, a trip to the vet is needed to rule out any health related problems.