Why does my cat keep licking her lips?

I have a 4 year old cat. She's fully indoors. About 2 weeks ago I noticed her acting strange but she got over it. Now she was acting a littler different again. She's still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom fine. But she keeps licking her lips alot I thought it could be from a hairball so I put hairball paste in her mouth. We thought it would be a great time to apply her advantage as well while we had her. She just seems sad and not herself after. Also I noticed she has become slightly more oily than usual. I'm not sure if this is something I need to take her a vet for because she is eating.
Let me know your opinions.

Asked by Member 1156740 on Mar 5th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Catsters always suggest that whenever there is a change in behavior, at least a call to the vet is wise. When my in-law's Pomeranian began frantically "licking the air", the vet said it was a neurological disorder and the licking was a form of seizure. Your kitty could have dental issues, such as an infection, and if the infection is draining into her stomach through her saliva, it's upsetting her digestion. I'm concerned that you write that she doesn't seem herself. I know when Izzie isn't well, he hides inside our couch and that's my cue to call the vet. Even if it's just something he ate, it's peace of mind for me. And if it IS something, the vet can treat him.

Buddha

Take your cat to the vet. She might have swallowed string or have a needle embedded in her mouth or throat or as Izzy already pointed out, she might have a broken tooth, abscessed tooth, or other dental problem. (Good to see you Izzy, glad to know you're ok. I hadn't run across any of your posts for a couple days now & wondered if you're ok!)

Your cat's oily coat (unless its ONLY oily in the area where you applied the Advantage) is another indicator that something is wrong. One reason a cat's coat can get oily is when that cat isn't grooming itself as usual. Failure to keep her coat groomed is another definite sign of illness.

Buddha answered on 3/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

it might be something with her teeth? you should take her to a vet and get her checked out cause she may just have a problem with that...