Calvin

Why does my cat have her tongue hanging out?

She is 10 years old and has been doing this for about 4 years. Has a great appetite and is "normal" in all other ways

Asked by Calvin on Jun 24th 2008 Tagged tongue in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Bella

Bella sticks her tongue out after she sneezes.. I don't know why..but it's funny. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bella answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

1.) She could be in the grooming state.
.
2.) She could be dehydrated.
.
3.) A tooth could be hurting.
.
4.) Her tongue might be longer than her mouth and she's just relaxing it.

as Bella says, i wouldn't worry about it. Scooter sleeps with his tongue hanging out.

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Because of her age I'd be really worried about dental disease and infected roots. A quick glance in her mouth by a vet (or really even you because an unhealthy mouth is pretty obvious) could tell you easily and for a peek most vets would only charge a "brief exam" fee and thats generally 1/2 the cost of a regular exam.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well, I've looked at all your cats' pictures (you certainly have a thing for grey cats, and they're all beautiful!), and I think you're referring to Mickey. Well, in her photos, her tongue isn't hanging out, so I assume it's not hanging out all the time. Does it hang out all the time? Just sometimes? Does it hang out all the way, or just a bit? Since you have so many cats, you must be familiar with that cute and very common cat trick of forgetting to put the tongue back in the mouth completely and leaving a bit of it hanging out, especially after grooming. Is that what you're referring to? Maybe you could write a more specific description and post it on the forums, so that you could get more and longer answers. In the meantime, a tooth checkup--by you or your vet--sounds like a good idea. Check the inside of her mouth for ulcers as well. However, since she has no eating problems, she probably isn't in enough oral pain to have her tongue sticking out, wouldn't you think?

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

Have you moved to a house with a different garden in that time, or planted something different?

If I chew a plant that I find yukky, I will hang my tongue out. Once, I did this all day. My humans have checked there's nothing toxic in the garden but some plants just taste so bad I spend forever trying to spit the taste out. It looks so funny.
Seriously though, are you chewing something unpleasant? Maybe your humans should check its not toxic. If it just tastes bad but is harmless, then they could move the plant or thing, or give you some more water to take the taste away.

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer