Darcy

Why does my cat eat plastic bags???

My male cat, Darcy, is 3.5 years old. He's affectionate and adorable. He has one very weird habit. He loves to chew on plastic bags. He's always trying to tear pieces off and eat them. I keep them in a safe place but one day I slipped up and forgot, and I left one out. When I came home I found a piece of it on the floor, and I could tell he had swallowed it and vomited it up. After that I was MEGA careful not to have any around. Why would he want to eat plastic bags??? They can't possibly taste good! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Clare Higgins.

Asked by Darcy on Feb 16th 2008 Tagged strangebehavior in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Zek

Actually, some plastic bags do taste good to kitties. There are oils used in the process of making the bags, and some types of bags use fish oils which are attractive to cats. My Zek is a plastic bag lover too. I keep the bags in drawer or containers with lids--if I had any left out, he would find them. He still chews on the bag that I use to store litter in, but he rarely seems to swallow any.

Zek answered on Feb 16th.

Answers

Boris

Well, I doubt that he really wanted to eat it. What's more likely is that because they crinkle, he thinks of them as prey, and so after he successfully won his fight, he probably tore a chunk out to claim it, and must have swallowed it.

I like to pounce on plastic bags too, and keeping them out of the way was a full time job (see below). Eventually she started asking for paper bags, so that if I had to stalk bags, it would be harder for me to get in trouble (but she'd remove the handles on those as soon as she got them home). She's thinking of switching to a canvas grocery bag, since I don't express interest in those.

You just have to keep the plastic bags out of their way. Mom said that when she used to use plastic bags, she keep hers in a cabinet, but I figured it out and learned hot to open it, so she had to get a childproof lock for it.

Mom says that with cats, you just have to always stay a step ahead of them, that's all you can really do.

Boris answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chase

Oh, cats have all sorts of weird habits! My Chasey likes licking the clothes basket, MOL! Maybe it feels good on his tongue or something. Munchie also has a thing of not being close enough to you. He seems like he's trying to get inside you. It's really cute how he gets up every 5 seconds to get closer! And Chase sleeps on a big stuffed dog! How ironic. ;)

I guess cats are just weird. They all have their strange things that they do, just like us humans.

If you want him to stop eating the bags then try giving different things to Darcy to find him a new habit. Chase loves the rings (tabs?) on distilled water bottles. Once he finds a new habit, he'll probably forget about the bags.

Hope this helps. :)

Chase

Chase answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar J. loves plastic bags too. He hasn't tried to eat any (yet), but he loves to lay on them and make biscuits in them. I think it's the sound they make and the fact that they fly around when pounced on.

Of course this is the same cat who likes to take a nap on newspapers and mail.... MOL!

Loki

I love plastic bags too. Some of them have fish oil added to them when they are made - I think it is to keep them from sticking to each other. But my nose can smell it so I want to attack it.

Loki answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer