Un-Named

Why does my 2 week old kitten suckle on her brothers genitalia?

My male kitten has small lacerations around his anus. Vet wasn't too concerned about it. Last night I noticed one of my female kittens suckling on his privates (hence maybe we he has the sores). Why is she doing this? It is after she already eats. I have since seperated them.

Asked by Un-Named on May 30th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

This can cause major problems- you have to separate them immediately when you see this. If is a natural reaction from a kitten looking for something to suck on in place of its mom, and does not happen unless they are removed from the mother too soon. The one can eat pee or get sick, and the other can become infected and unable to pee, which can cause death in severe cases. Keep them apart until the behavior subsides if you have to, or put bitter apple dog spray on his privates 3x a day until the siblings learn better. ^_^