Why do some cats stick out their tongue all the time?

Asked by Member 1039963 on Jul 7th 2011 in The Catster Website

Answers

I can honestly say that I've never seen a cat who sitcks out their tongue all the time unless they were panting because they were hot. If you have a cat who does this, it could be a neurological issue and he probably should go to the vet to get checked out.

Blaze

Not to contradict my good friend Izzie's Mom, but 2 of mine do it all of the time. Blaze does it when she's happy, when she decides to take nap in the middle of grooming herself and when I scratch her belly. No panting involved at all but usually after interrupted licking. I have been told that her Momma does it too. Kira does it frequently and even Allie does it from time to time. It is generally a sign of contentment in my cats but I wouldn't rule out a health issue if you're not sure why your own cat is doing it. Definitely something to ask your vet about.

Blaze answered on 7/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toby

The idea of sticking the tongue out, in my experience is usually related to contentment.

My kitty who is no longer with us used to put the tip of his tongue out and close his mouth when he was happy and sometimes even when he was sleeping!

We always referred to this as "the kitty face."

I've even known some cats to do it while concentrating on pouncing!

BUT

As Izzie's mom stated, this COULD be a health issue.

Is your kitty sticking their whole tongue out or just the tip? See if you an associate this with certain behavior and it's always OK to ask your vet when you take your kitty in for a check-up.

Toby answered on 7/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a 7 year old flame point Siamese who sticks out the very tip of his tongue when he is relaxed after playtime, sleeping, intent on his favorite sport of moth-watching at the window - seems to be at times when he is content. It is not very much that sticks out, and it is hard to see it unless you know him and his habits, but it is very cute.