Sheba

Why do my cats nip me whenever I have bare skin showing?

Whenever I have my bare feet or arms or legs showing both of my cats will at one time or another come up and nip at me and jump on me then bite or nip. Sometimes it is hard and sometimes it is not. It never seems mean, just annoying. I pay them plenty of attention and have certain playtime and games so I dont think it is an attention thing, also I do not ever wear the same skin lotion or perfume so I dont think that's it either.

Asked by Sheba on Feb 8th 2010 in Aggression

Best Answer

Biting anything but food is not acceptable in cats, dogs or babies, and we need to teach them that. It doesn't matter where or how they bite you, but THAT they bite you, and they need to be taught that you won't tolerate it. If you play with them with your hands, even "hands under the blanket,"etc. stop. Purchase a feather pole or other "hands-off" toy. My Delilah was a biter and that caused her to be abandoned, pregnant at a shelter and languish there and at PetsMart for a year until I adopted her. After much training, she now will curl up on my lap and I can pet her anyplace without being bitten. It sounds like a chore, but go to your nearest office supply store and purchase a can of "air" that we use to blast dust out of our computer keyboards, etc. When your cats jump on you with what you recognize as the intent to bite, give them a blast of air. After a while, all you will need to do is show them the can and they'll think twice.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Feb 8th.

There Are No Other Answers