Jester

Why do I eat plastic bags?

I also eat the sheets from sticky rollers (lint rollers).

Asked by Jester on Aug 7th 2009 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Emily

Some cats just do. For 15 years, I had to lock away all plastic or my Emily would create her kitty ventilation system. Which would then be puked back up right where I would find it with my feet the next day. I can't tell you how many times I almost fell and broke my neck cause I slipped on cat barf. When I got my three kids now, I tried to be just as cautious. But they don't ingest it, they just like to bat it around (which gets REALLY old at 3:30 in the morning). What I'm trying to say is it is a cat quirk. Hide the things he likes to chew, they will make him sick, and only cause problems.

Emily answered on 8/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've heard that plastic grocery bags contain animal fat, and since cat's senses of smell are so much more refined than ours are, they can smell it. If this bag contained food, they'll also be able to smell that. Cats can also have a condition called "pica", which also affects people. This condition causes cats to eat non-food items. It can be caused by stress or a health concern. Since eating non-food items can cause serious blockages in their intestines that can cause death or thousands of dollars to cure, it might not be a bad ideato take Jester to the vet's to make sure he's OK. The vet may recommend a dietary change for him that will stop him from eating non-food things.

Biscuit

I don't know why exactly they do it, but restrain Jester from doing it. One of my cats used to chew on the plastic that was wrapped around water bottles and got a fat lip. We took her to the vet and he told us that was why and it was extremely painful for her. :(

Biscuit answered on 8/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer