Purdy

Why are my cats so skinny and unactive

My 12 year old cat (Purdy), who recently isnt active at all n my 14 week old kitten (Scarlet), who is extremly active are underweight. I'v tried feeding them all kinds of diffrent foods hard and soft. Before i got Scarlet i took Purdy to the vets to see whats going on. I thought maybe there was something making her uncomfterbal and causing her to not wanna eat and play. They did blood test and told me she was perfectly healthy, just a lil dehidrated (which they said was normal) and underwieght, iv asked vets, trainers, n friends what i can do, they say kitten food cuz it has more fat in it n to try this brand n that brand at the moment its Wellness but it dosnt seem to be doing anything just like the others. And Scarlet used to have a nice belly on her n iv recently noticed shes gettin just as skinny as purdy. I'v had cats my whole life n never had this problem. Does any1 know what i can feed them to help them gain weight n motivate Purdy to wanna play more??

Asked by Purdy on Aug 10th 2010 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

As I posted when you asked this yesterday, you need to take one or both back to the vet and tell them what's going on. As kittens grow, they do lose that round little tummy, but a noticeable weight loss in a cat of any age is cause for concern. At the age of 12, Purdy is slowing down and older cats may lose weight as they age. She may also resent Scarlet and if you just got the kitten, it may take time for Purdy to warm up to her and want to play. Many times people get a kitten to entice an old(er)cat to play, but sometimes the older cat just wants to be left alone. If Purdy doesn't drink a lot of water, you may want to consider one of those kitty fountains for her. Dehydration can be serious. I would suggest getting a second opinion from a different vet, sharing with them that you are concerned because both your kitties seem to be losing weight. It may be normal and nothing to worry about. Always remember to integrate new foods slowly to avoid stomach upset.

Coralie Grace

Have they done a stool sample? If you have a new kitten in the house hold it may have brought in intestinal parasites (round worms or coccida most commonly) they can cause diarrhea but don't always. If you haven't already take a sample of both Purdy and Scarlet's stool to your vet. The test should be around $20.

Coralie Grace answered on 8/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer