George

Wht is my cat's lower eye lid comming up?

My Cat friend has his lower eye lid is coming up. His eyes leaks a bit. Took him to the vet. There is no infection and no sign of much eye irritation. What could be causing the eye lower eye lid do come up?

Asked by George on May 17th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Did they do bloodwork on your cat? Sometimes when their eyelid shows like that, they are sick. Did this vet do blood work? If not, I'd find a new vet. That would be the first thing I would do, blood work reveals so much, and that is usually a starting place. It does not necessarily mean something is wrong with their eyes, it could be kidney, uti, anemic, diabetes, many things. Please take kitty back and get blood work done.

When this happened to my dog years ago, the vet called it "Horner's Syndrome". It has to do with the nerves and muscles in the eye which cause the eyelids, upper, lower or third eyelid, to cover the eyeball. It's not an infection, but can be treated with a salve. Go back to the vet and ask if they think that's what this is, or call them. Since they've already seen your cat, they may be able to prescribe the salve without seeing him and incurring more expense. If they do nothing for him, then I agree, it's time to move on to a new vet.