Which cat breed would be best to deter neighbours cats?

Our neighbour has 7 cats which consider our garden to be their territory. They march through regularly, pooping all over, even on the doorstep. They are nasty, semi-feral little beasts, with torn ears, missing eyes and other fight marks.
I'm wondering if getting a bigger cat would be a solution? Which breeds? Any thoughts?

Asked by Member 1094430 on Feb 23rd 2012 Tagged soiling, territory, deterence in Breeds

Answers

Dear God in Heaven. I have a lot of thoughts, but none of them would be printable on a site that's to be acceptable for 7 year olds. Why would you want to get a cat and subject it to a gang of feral, probably diseased other cats? And what would you do if your neighbors then got a BIGGER cat? This may not stop until one of you gets an African Lion. I understand that this is not a pleasant situation for you. I, also, have tried to plant flowers in a bed that's been used by the resident strays as a toilet. Not fun. Here in the USA, we have departments of our local police and animal welfare organizations that watch out for abuse situations. Your neighbors are guilty of at least neglect and most likely abuse. If you get no help there, you can always notify the media. A well-placed news story can do wonders to shame someone into taking responsibility for their actions. Be aware that if you try to harm these cats, even though they are a nuisance, you also could be found guilty of abuse.

Hmmm, Izzie, thanks for your carefully thoughtless reply. I wonder how many unjustified assumptions can be made in one response?
1. Why would my neighbour would get a larger cat? We're not about to embark on the feline equivalent of an arms race. We want a pet. The kids love cats (not the neighbour's). One criteria for the pet is simply to keep other cats out of the garden.
2. Why would I subject my cat to gang assault? Firstly, I'm not sure cats behave in this manner. Secondly, that would be the point of getting a 'bigger' cat, no?
3. Why would you assume the neighbour's cats are abused? He feeds them regularly, but they live outdoors more than in. I don't even know if they are 'his'. He's been here a lot longer than we have.
4. Why would I harm these cats? My neighbour is 89 years old. These cats are his main company. I don't begrudge him the cats. I just want to stop them crapping on my doorstep.

If I can commit to the training/walking regimen, I suppose a dog would be better?

Cali

Izzy's assumptions were based on a sound understanding of the nature of cats and the information you provided, "with torn ears, missing eyes and other fight marks" as a description of someone's *pet* cats sounds like a serious neglect situation. Are these cats spayed and neutered? Our fixed feral cats don't fight that much; it sounds like a hormone problem which is a soon to be kitten problem.

There is also very little chance cats in that condition aren't carrying transmittable diseases your cat would be at risk for if you let him out. And yes, we can be sure they would fight with your new cat, because as you stated they consider your yard part of their territory and if you release a new cat there he will be the interloper no matter what human blessings he has. Size has little bearing on a domestic cats' chances in a fight- 5lb cats beat on 15lb cats with just as much frequency as vice-versa.

Get motion activated sprinklers and choose an indoor pet based on what you'll honestly love!

Cali answered on 2/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

maybe try in a very nice way to get your sweet older neighbor to put the cat food in a different place? i know you dont want to be rude to an elderly person and also you only have a certain space to explain your situation. maybe call a local vet and find out which products you can get from a local pet store to spray where you dont want the cats and also there are things you can "whipp up" yourself ... find out what you can plant/place in your yard that will make it unwelcome to those other cats. i bet the neighbor has no idea and if they do they would feel bad. i know different things work for different people. i hope you get your yard and steps back. you shouldnt have to worry about random cat poo there.best of luck and best wishes to you.

Asian tiger should do it