Aspen

Which breed am I?

Today while in the book store I stumbled across a book used to identify different breeds of cats, and I took a look in hopes of discovering what type of cat I might be. I was torn between a Maine Coon and a Norwegian Forest cat. I have too many similarities to both of these breeds for me to clearly distinguish which I may be. To say a little about my personality, well I have a wild sense of adventure. I am an indoor cat always wanting outside to explore and eat grass. I hardly sit still for a second, but love to stare out the window. I can be vocal when I want my way, and when I ride in the car. I do not like being in the car. Strangely, I sometimes act like a dog and love smelly things. I like to hoard things and carry them either to my litter box or store them in a shoe I finds laying around. I know my personality may not help much when determining my breed, so take a look at my photo and try your best. Good luck I know it can be tricky.

Asked by Aspen on Dec 26th 2011 in Breeds

Answers

Hi, Aspen and welcome to Catster! This may sound like a non-answer answer, but unless your Dad got a certificate with you that said you are pure bred, chances are you are "just" a "moggie" (catspeak for mutt). That doesn't mean that you aren't beautiful, because you ARE. There is probably more Maine Coon in you than NFC as those are pretty rare. Petfinder will have less than a dozen listed at any given time in the whole country. What your pawrent describes as your personality is not indicative that much of any specific breed. None of us here like to ride in the car. Mom says she could roll down the window when we go to the vet's in our carriers and traffic would pull to the side of the road, thinking it was an emergency vehicle's siren. Lizzie likes to carry stuff around and me, well, I'm a cat who thinks I'm a dog and my dog sisfur Cady thinks she's a cat. I'm only stationary today b/c it was a long weekend! We tell people that their cat probably has a giant family tree!

Scooby

Since you don't know and the shelter didn't say (and a shelter desperate to unload a kitten would definitely mention if they knew or even suspected a cat may be purebred) the safest bet is that you're a Domestic Longhair. The recessive long hair gene is actually more common in freely bred cats than some people might think, and the brown tabby coat pattern, while also common in MCs and NFCs, is a great pattern for feral cats since it helps them blend in with brush and may give them a hunting advantage. I was born to a shorthaired calico mother and I've got so much fluff I don't know what to do with it all! You don't need to fit neatly into a specific breed profile- you're unique, you're a mystery, and you're beautiful!

Scooby answered on 12/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maine Coons are a native breed in the USA so a mixed breed cat like Aspen could have some Maine Coon in her. As thd others say, her breed will be a Domestic Long Hair which covers all mixed breed cats with long fur