Thomas

Where is a good place to put my litter box?

My cat used to be allowed all over the house but now i have an apartment and he's just going to stay with me. The litter box used to be in the upstairs bathroom but made it smell in there. Where is a good place to put the litter box and how can i keep it from smelling up my apartment?

Asked by Thomas on Feb 10th 2008 Tagged litterbox, newhome in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Boris

Put it somewhere accessible to the cat, but out of the way so to give him some privacy.

Meowmy tucked mine away in the only spot that is open but secluded in our tiny place: this corner of the kitchen between the fridge and garbage bin. The only other place was near the food, and that is a no-no for most cats. It works for us, thanks to a really heavy duty tracking mat between the litterbox and the fridge.

I concur with whoever reccomended domed litter boxes. Mine has a charcoal filter up top that gets replaced every couple of months, and it usually suffices in absorbing the smells. We use clumping litter with baking soda already added in (because that's the only kind I like, and you don't mess with success), and mom sifts through it really throughly 1-2 times a day, that way nothing smelly stays in there long. She dumps batches of litter and puts fresh litter in every 2-3 weeks. We've never had any odor issues (my box is way less smelly than the garbage bin ever is).

Boris answered on Feb 14th.

Answers

Sheena

I have read, and learned from experience that cats like to have privacy, when using the litter box. So, if you can find a place that is not out in the open. Like a place in the bedroom(closet),just make sure the cat can get in the closet, if that's where you put it! lol! Sprinkle baking soda in the litter. That absorbs oders. Hope this helps!
Nan

Sheena answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam

Having a covered litterbox really reduces the smell. I live by myself, but still have one covered litterbox in a corner of my bedroom. Their second litterbox is not covered and I have it in the closet of the guest bedroom. I scoop/change both of them every 3 or 4 days and really don't have any smell problems.

Sam answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Munchkin

Meow!

Our Meowmie put our litter box in the bathroom and it worked out great! It did stink up a little but they got a new kind of litter (it's this blue box with the letters e-v-e-r c-l-e-a-n. I'm not sure what that spells) and a deodorizer and that helped a lot! Now I don't have to hold my breath when I go to the litter box. :) Changing the litter is my suggestion. But if you really don't want it in the bathroom, but it in a place that's kind of out of the way, maybe in a work space or in the living room in the corner.

Purrs,

Munchkin

Munchkin answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You've gotten excellent advice from our comrades here on this Answer page! I'd just like to add that once every week I dump out the litter entirely and scrub the boxes with Pine-sol or even diluted bleach. I also buy new boxes every few months as all my guys like to scratch a lot and leave scratch marks in the boxes which can hold smells. If you take showers in that upstairs bathroom, the humidity can hold in the smell of the box in that relatively small room. My boxes are in the spare bedroom and I leave the ceiling fan on all the time and the window cracked open in the nice weather. My husband, not a real cat-lover, would definitely tell me if he noticed cat box smell and he's never said a word, so I guess it works!

My litter box is in Mommy & Daddy's room. It's covered to keep the pooches out of it. Mommy scoops it out once and day and she adds Arm & Hammer litter box deoderizer in it too to keep it smelling fresh.

MORTICIA

we use the tidy cat multi cat with crystals clumping litter. i also live in a small apt with soon to be 3 cats. my bathroom is really too tiny for their box, but my bathroom has never smelled from the box. if you get clumping get the solid stuff out daily and be careful not to break the clumps. it helped us. most people don't even know i have a cat let alone the other and soon to be 3rd one. if he hasn't been fixed that may help.

MORTICIA answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer