when do i train my cat to go outside

we have a cat that needs to go outside! he has been an indoor cat for @ 3 years only. he is 6 years old. i will be moving and want to let him out then. should i start letting him out now? even though he will only have 3 months here. i think i need to wait so he can start from scratch (no pun intended). any takers?

Asked by Member 1038122 on Jun 21st 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Marshall

Why does he NEED to go outside? If a cat is a indoor cat, I would recommend they stay in side. Most likely, he won't come back if you let him out. Also, they are twice as likely to get diseases, attacked and/or hit by a car. If you are letting him out because you just simply annoyed by him, maybe try finding him a home where he can be safe and happy.

Marshall answered on 6/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Cali

If he's happy living indoors it really goes against accepted medical advice to start letting him out again now, especially right before or after a move when he may be confused as to what "his" territory is and end up running away. Our friend started letting her cat out and within a year he contracted Feline Leukemia Virus- a virus that impairs the immune system and causes all sorts of cancer! Cats outside have a 1 in 25 chance of carrying that virus, and there are a lot more cats roaming outside than you might think.

A better approach is enriching his indoor environment- a perch on the window, tall cat tree for scratching and climbing, a pot of cat grass, and more playtime with you. All the benefits of the outdoors can be achieved indoors without the risks!

Cali answered on 6/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Why would you want to let him out? Let me tell you that I manage a feral cat colony and not everyone likes cats! I fear for their lives, as one neighbor has trapped cats, relocated them (or did who knows what with them), thrown sticks at them, left rat poison out, etc. My neighbor's cat had to have $1200 surgery because someone shot her cat with a BB gun. Is this what you want to happen to your cat? You should be thankful that your cat doesn't want to go outside. If you are moving, you don't know what will happen. Your cat may try to find the old home, get lost, get hit by a car, get in a fight with another cat (or some other wild animal). Please, KEEP YOUR CAT INDOORS!

These probably aren't the answers you were expecting. I adopted 2 cats who were already outside cats and I lost them both outdoors. One was hit by a car and the other was found dead on a neighbor's drive and put in their trash can w/o my knowledge so I didn't even get to say good-bye. My neighbors now have 2 outside cats and we have a very busy road close-by and lots of coyotes and even an occasional wandering black bear. I'm terrified their cats will meet the same fate as mine. My son has also lost 2 or 3 outside cats. Understand that if your cat is not neutered, he will be out there adding to the overwhelming overpopulation of kittens. Once he is an outdoor cat, you will not be able to train him to stay in again. At some point, he may face even more dangers outside if you move again. If you have neighbors, they may not appreciate your cat's wanderings and possibly using their flowers for a litter box. Please reconsider your decision!

Like everyone else here, I do not think that cats should ever go outside unless they are supervised and with a harness & leash. However, if you are not concerned about his health and safety and still want him out, then it would be best to wait until after the move to begin introducing him to the outdoors. Letting him out at the old house and then introducing him to a whole new outside world in 3 months will just confuse him. But please do listen to all of the valid reasons that the others gave and reconsider your decision to expose him to all of the dangers that being outside will bring into his life.

Your cat does not need to go outside. No cats do. There are WAY too many dangers out there! If you don't want him hanging around inside anymore, then find him another home. All of the other posts gave you some advice that you should listen to.

COAL

I have 2 cats that are indoor and out I make sure they are in at night. I let them out at first with someone out with them to watch where they go and bring them in after a few hours. They will remember where they live and who loves them. I have a 9 month old kitten who wants to go out with them I am still a little nervous . I let her out with me today for about an hour she was exploring everywhere. I kept my eyes on her . but when the Older cat wanted to take her in the woods I brought her in. I would make sure she knows her surroundings first. Because if she hasnt been out and you put her out and not let her back in she is still scared and she will run away and not know how to get home

COAL answered on 3/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer