Blondy

when can i start feeding my kitten dry (solid) food??

my kitten is 5 weeks old n is eating wet food.. when can i start feeding her dry/solid food??

Asked by Blondy on Jan 8th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Zape

Normally a kitten at her age would be nursing and eating tiny insects offered by her mom, but I know that sometimes it doesn’t happens (for me was the same, I was orphan).

About dry food, it depends on her! She has tooth? If so you can offer her it (specially made for kittens that young). At first, you should drip a few drops of water (just a little) to make it softer. You should observe to be sure that she is eating. At that age kittens need to eat all the time (they need lots of energy to be healthy). After she was used to dry food (with drops of water), you can stop putting water.

She is very young, I would suggest you to offer her the dry food (+ water drops) freely (bowl always available) and a kitten formula twice or three times a day (in a bottle). When she stops nursing the formula (she will do it for her choice after two or three weeks), the transition to dry food would be complete. It is not easy but, I believe that is the best for her. Mommy did it for me. Good luck!

Zape answered on Jan 9th.

Answers

Just to add to Zape's excellent advice, when we weaned my daughter's foster cat's litter, we mixed wet food with a little KMR (kitten milk replacer-do NOT use cow's milk!)available at pet stores in the cat aisle in a powder formula. We fed this mushy stuff to the babies off a spoon or our fingers. B/c she is so young, you will need, as Zape says, to make the dry food softer for her. Allow it to soak in the KMR until it's soft and puffy. Then use the spoon or fingers trick. It's a great way to bond with the baby, too!