Belle

What's the ideal size for a cat carrier?

I got a carrier for Belle when she was a kitten, only now she's grown a lot and I'm wondering if the carrier is too small for her. She can turn around in it, and it's ok lengthwise, but I don't think she can stand up all the way in it. She doesn't use it a whole lot - mainly just for trips to the vet, but I'm wondering if it might be more comfortable for her if she had a bit more room to stand. But I don't want it too big so that if (god forbid) I get in a car accident, she doesn't flop around inside the carrier and get hurt. Is this carrier ok for her if she can't stand up all the way in it?

Asked by Belle on Mar 13th 2009 in Carriers

Answers

My carriers are the soft side kind like a duffel bag. My cats can not stand up in theirs nor do they need to. But they can turn around and are comfortable. I believe that the less extra space the better so that they will lie down and relax while in the car and they will feel more secure during the trip and at the vet inside their carrier. Mine use theirs all of the time to hang out and take naps when I leave one open in the house. I also use the seat belt looped through the handles to keep mine safe in the car on the way to the vet in case of an accident. Unless you are using the really tiny kitten sized plastic one that Petmate makes, you are probably just fine with the one you have.

Harvey

I'm in a totally different situation--I live in a country where we usually use public transportation, rather than cars. As I'm in the cat show world, I just followed everyone else and bought the kind of carrier you can use on a plane--hard plastic with a metal grille in front. Anyway, your question is about whether your cat can stand up in the carrier or not. My experience is that they just lie down. More to the point is, is the carrier safe? It's bad enough to have your cat escape in the car, but many cats have been known to escape at the vet's...forever. When I take my cats to cat shows, I use the plastic carriers, but when I take them to the vet, I prefer a carrier with a zipper--my cats are not clever enough to open zippers. And I take my cats to the vet via bicycle. Anyway, the amount of time your cat is spending in the carrier is minimal. As long as the carrier is long enough for your cat, you should have no problems.

Harvey answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd just like to add that I bought a small sherpa bed at the pet store and put that in my carrier so my cats don't slide around on the plastic bottom as that can be scary for them. The bed can be washed if there's an "oops" and it keeps them comfortable and feeling safe.

Tosca Biscotti

I asked my vet the same question. She said as long as there is enough room for the cat to turn around and lay down comfortably, there is enough room.

Tosca Biscotti answered on 8/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

CaliMay (pudgecicle)

It depends on what you are doing and where You are going. if its a quick trip to Petsmart then on of those fabric or duffel bag type carriers will do fine as long as the kitty can see and breath. Make sure however the carrier is not to snug, they come in different sizes.

If it is a plastic pet taxi kind The Cat kitten and or adult should be able to stand up an turn around 360 degrees in it OR the carrier is to small for the cat. Just remember you wouldnt want tobe crammed in a small carrier unable to stand or turn around. They are not expensive and Walmart is the cheapest place I have seen them .

CaliMay (pudgecicle) answered on 9/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer