Alice

What's the average lifespan of a cat?

Assuming she is healthy and at her target weight.

Asked by Alice on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged aging in Health & Wellness

Answers

Catster's Testing Cat

I believe the average age for an indoor non-feral cat averages at 16 years.

Catster's Testing Cat answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Winter

Many sources give different averages. In my experience most indoor cats can live anywhere from 14-17 yrs on average. Many cats live longer. Outdoor cats, however, have an average lifespan of about 3 - 5 yrs.

Winter answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Simba ♥ LOVED

My v-e-t tells me that the average lifespan for an indoor cat is 15 years, so that seems to fit with the other answers posted. If you check the Olde Furts group, though, you'll find a whole bunch of kitties who have gone way beyond the average. Maybe they will have tips and tricks to share?

I will say that outdoor lifespans often depend on the area: where I live (AZ) the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is only 1 year because of the harsh conditions, variety of predators and dangers, etc.
Purrs,
Simba

♥ Simba ♥ LOVED answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Squeakers (Gone Too Soon)

It depends on breeds, lifestyle, nutrition/weight all that kinda stuff. I went on catage.com and took the test and it said I was well fed, maybe a bit on the heavy side, but otherwise doing okay, and in human years, I am 28-32 years old, and my sis Sandy who is 12, within all the facets Mommy knew about her, she is 44-48 in human years! I think if well taken care of, meezers can live up into their low 20's

Squeakers (Gone Too Soon) answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Elijah Featherbone

As the other kitties said, about 15 is the average lifespan for an indoor cat. An outdoor cat (sadly) might only live for 3-4 years depending on its environment.
Did you know that the world-record-winning oldest cat was 35 years old?

Elijah Featherbone answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

CHANCE

I had Sylvester & Crystal. They both were healthy cats that lived to a ripe old age of 21 & 22 years old. I hope Alice will live a long & healthy kitty life.

CHANCE answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer