What treatments (besides antibiotics ) can help severe congestion in cats?

My cat who is 14 years old has been severely congested for almost a year now. we have taken her to the vet several times but they are having trouble figuring out what is causing this. she had a culture but the anitbotics that were prescribed didn't help. she has been on many different antibotics and they no longer seem to help at all. nasal drops help a little but only for about an hour or so. she has trouble eating her food because she can't smell it but still eats. she is still active but sometimes has to sleep in an odd position to breathe normally. sometimes the sound of congestion stops completely by the position that she is in but once she moves to a different position, it comes back. does anyone know what may help relieve this constant congestion and clear out the infection for good? i would appreciate any advice. Thank You!

Asked by Member 931796 on Dec 20th 2009 Tagged congestion in Health & Wellness

Answers

Has your baby been tested for allergies? If she is allergic to her food, that can cause congestion and nasal issues. She may be allergic to something that's in what she eats. You can also try a special clinic, called a "Referral Clinic" that has vets who are specialists. They may be able to figure out how to help your sweet baby. Let us know how she is doing!

Kira

When Kira was recovering from her nasal surgery, the vet recommended taking her in the bathroom with me when I took a shower so the steam would help clear it. I also had to use a humidifier in the room at night when we slept. This won't help cure her but it may help make her more comfortable until you can find a cure. I always recommend a second opinion when your vet has been unable to resolve something. Thank to a Specialist, my Kira is a happy healthy 19 month old when she was a very sick little kitty a year ago. We had a nasal rhinoscopy done which found polyps in her sinus and eustachain tube that were causing the breathing problems in addition to head xrays that found a huge one in her inner ear. The surgery might be risky for a 14 year old cat, but knowing what it was may help them treat it more appropriately with steroids etc.

Kira answered on 12/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category